It struck me at the weekend that it would be useful to have a post with a collection of Useful Notes to bear in mind for the future.
Things that occurred to me so far (some of these are probably things that we will remember anyway, but still):
- When putting in tomatoes, put a stake by each baby plant, & tie them up as they grow; rather than suddenly having to disentangle Tomato Jungle a month in.
- Carrots do better in drills than scattered.
- Pinch out squash side-tips to avoid Squash Jungle.
- Courgettes & squash shouldn't be planted near each other as it all gets a bit tangled.
- Hats for baby plants are useful!
- Space between potato plants: useful as it means you can earth them up, *but* I'm not actually sure that the yield has altered that much per plant, so maybe better to grow 'em closer together & get more plants in?
(marnameow, I think as moderator you can edit this post; anyone else with comments should, er, comment!)